Kristi's Recipe for Deep Fried PC

Anyone that knows me, knows I am NO cook, or even Suzie home maker for that matter. So if you mention Kristi and deep fried in the same sentence, there must be trouble to follow.




If you are reading this post, chances are you have a computer or access to one. Perhaps you have more than one computer with tons of precious photos of your loved ones, important software that cannot be replaced (like those that have been upgraded not to work with the bug machine) or amazing digital patterns that you have been collecting for years.

Imagine hanging out on your computer as you some times do. You are sitting there, doing what you do when all of the sudden sparks flare from the back of your computer and smoke begins barreling out from the side of the tower. That was my Monday!

What would be the first thing that goes through your mind? I can tell you that after feeling an immediate drop in the pit of my stomach, I praised GOD that I had backed everything up on my portable hard drive. Yes, PRAISE GOD!

Imagine loosing all those years of files I had created, my original designs. But more importantly, all the photos of my little girls, my husband, my family and the precious moments that had been captured digitally. Imagine them gone, all gone!

You see that actually happened to me years ago. I still have the computer, as one day I hope to get my photos off of it. But I learned my lesson.

I want to share this with you, my dear friends, because this has happened to me not once, but twice. The first time I wasn't so lucky, and I do not what that to happen to you.

We at My Scrap Chick are always happy to re-send you a file you may have lost, or deleted by accident. And if by unfortunate circumstance your computer dies....well, we will resend all the files we have on record for you.

We want to do our part to always be there for you if you need us, but no matter how much we love and appreciate you, we cannot replace the other precious content on your computer. So please, please, please....back everything up on another hard rive. It is not worth loosing.

We have 'save the tata's' and 'save the whales', now lets "save our PC" (precious content!!!

7 comments

  1. Having an external hard drive or online save sight is a must have if there is anything you don't want to lose forever. Can't say it enough! Sorry for your loss!
    quilt 4 fun 2 at hot mail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be able to plug your HD from that broken PC into another PC and retrieve your files. They only way you wouldn't be able to is if the HD totally dies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristi, that has happened to me too many times, so I do back everything up on an external drive. It is very reassuring to know that in case it happens again I can contact you to replace my files. You are awesome!!

    Thanks!

    Carmen L

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for your loss, but you gave Great advice!! Also, it's worth it to buy an extra hard drive to back up your PC and KEEP IT SOMEWHERE ELSE! (Parent/sibling/ bank safety deposit box, office at work, etc.) We had a housefire and I lost all those pictures, etc.

    While you are at it, video your house, room-by-room, opening drawers and talking about anything special in them or on the wall. Include about how old they are and/or $$$-value. Keep this SOMEWHERE ELSE, too! You will never regret doing it. . . but you may regret NOT doing it.
    from "Learned too late"

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to know that I'm not the only one who has had sparks flying out the back of their computer! Now I download all svgs to my external HD. Yes, Newegg sells empty cases to slip your HD in from your fried pc. Slipping them in was so easy that even I could do it! Hopefully, you were able to salvage your HD. Thank you for all the freebies you give.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My computer crashed once, and now I back up everything to my external hard drive. Thankfully you kind ladies at Myscrapchick gave me access to all the downloads I had bought, making me a very happy lady. Not all companies do this though, so be careful. Thanks again and have a great 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Help! I purchased easterbunnies svg and can't download them. For some reason it takes forever for it to load and after 10 minutes my computer shuts down! I have purchased other patterns from other websites and have had no problem. I tried to email scrapchick but didn't work, if any-one can help I would appreciate it! I will have to purchase these files again, and before wasting more money, I'd like to figure out how to download it right. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete